Wednesday, July 05, 2006

What I'm reading now...

Sprawl by Robert Bruegmann

Interesting "alternative" urban planning book that offers the premise that suburbanization is not a modern phenomenon, and in fact can be traced back to ancient civilizations. Don't agree with some of the author's assertions, but it's still a fascinating read and contains some surprising statistics.

The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem

I know, I should be ashamed of myself for never having read this critically acclaimed novel. Well, better late than never, right?

Black Like You by John Strausbaugh

Recently got a galley copy of this one, and finally cracked it open during the long weekend. Too early to comment, but it's engaging thus far.

The Cities Book

Not technically reading this large coffee table book I was recently given. It's a combination of photos and random information on the 200 most popular cities in the world, as determined by the readers of Lonely Planet. If you're a "city nut" like me, this book will be the most exciting thing you've seen in a while. In particular, I love the "Strengths" and "Weaknesses" section for each city. I cracked up when I saw that one of LA's weaknesses were "New York 'transplants' who do nothing but complain about LA." Amen to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home