Tuesday, July 26, 2005

I should be writing this blog with more tenacity and less sagacity

Talk about the best gag gift ever. I was recently given a copy of the children's book "Word Jam: An electrifying, mesmerizing, gravity-defying Guide to a powerful and awesome vocabulary". The book was written by Knicks great Walt "Clyde" Frazier. For those who don't know, Frazier was the point guard on the last Knicks team to win a championship (yeah, in the 70s). These days, the still stylish Frazier does the play by play for the Knicks on the MSG network (at least he did the last time I checked). Many of my friends know that he was the only reason I would even bother watching Knicks broadcasts before the All-Star break. Walt was well-known for inserting multi-syllabic words into his courtside commentary, and he even admitted during some interviews that he kept a small pocket thesaurus handy for conjuring big words on the fly. I'll never forget the game back in the 90s when Latrell Sprewell threw down a particularly thunderous dunk and Frazier exclaimed:

"That's right! He needs to be attacking the rim with more tenacity and less sagacity!"

You tell 'em, Walt!

Anyway, his book claims to provide "the all-star words you need to succeed," and is every bit as entertaining as his live broadcasts. For example, here are some power words used by Kathy to keep the contents of her diary a mystery to her younger brother, Joey:

Instead of saying BASHFUL (adj. Shy), Kathy can say RETICENT

Instead of saying COVERT (adj. Hidden), Kathy can say SURREPTITIOUS

Instead of saying SNEAKY, Kathy can say FURTIVE

It's like I've been transported courtside to a Knicks-Heat games in the late 90s. Thanks Walt. In honor of your new book, I will endeavor to make my blog as delectable as possible over the course of the next week. I promise not to adopt an apathetic attitude towards my blog's upkeep, for it would be puerile for a neophyte blogger like myself, being both loquacious and full of zeal, to let such a lofty project simply fall by the wayside.

1 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Kemp, I love this. Hilarious, even though I know nothing about sports and had never heard of Walt till your post, I like big words and practically live at Thesaurus.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home