Monday, September 19, 2005

Hello, my name is Kemp, and I'm addicted to fantasy football

Ha ha! Week two in the NFL just finished up, and my Giants are 2-0. Even better, I'm in second place in my 12-man fantasy football league! This is my first year playing fantasy football. I usually stick with fantasy basketball and then join an online 2K football league. Since 2K football is dead, I decided to try my hand at the fantasy world, and damn am I hooked.

As much as I enjoy basketball (and used to enjoy hockey), I think football is the greatest American sport for a reason. It's hard to be a casual football fan like it is for other sports. Either you're totally into the game (and all of its nuances) or you don't follow it at all. It is rather ironic then that I live in the only major US city that doesn't have a team in my favorite sport. It was a big deal at first, until I realized how great watching football was in LA. I've only been to a handful of games in my life, and the last time I went to a live Giants game, Jesse Armstead was the starting linebacker (fans know how long ago that was). Like most fans, I find scoring tickets to be too much of a headache, and I prefer watching my games on television. That's the main reason being in LA is great. With no home team (yet), the city gets a virtual potpourri of games to watch on Sunday, and never any blackouts! This is even better being a fantasy football player, because it gives me a chance to see a much wider variety of players on a regular basis and make good decisions for my team.

I'm really happy with my fantasy squad. (Note: if you don't watch or enjoy football, stop reading now) I didn't get any Giants (I wanted Tiki Barber), but I nabbed fantasy stud Ladainian Tomlinson in the first round, then Terrell Owens in the second round. My backup HBs are Julius Jones, Stephen Davis, and Mike Anderson. Stephen Davis was a late round steal, as he has turned into a fantasy stud. This gives me the deepest backfield in my league. My other starting receiver is Steve Smith, my TE L.J. Smith is also a stud, and I have both the Buccaneers and Falcons defenses. I'll admit, I wanted Buffalo's "D", but the Bucs have blossomed into the dominant fantasy defense so far. My quarterbacks are underwhelming (Jake Delhomme and Jake Plummer), but they are both capable of putting up huge numbers on a semi-regular basis.

Let's hope my hot streak continues in week 3...

1 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Blogger Douglas T. Allbright said...

How long until you start getting an inordinate amount of hits from Google for the string, "fantasy stud"?

Go Giants!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home